https://sikhcouncil.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/sikh_council.png 0 0 Sikh Council https://sikhcouncil.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/sikh_council.png Sikh Council2020-06-29 12:45:322020-07-03 17:43:21Update: Full reopening of Gurdwaras from the 4th July
https://sikhcouncil.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/bulletin-1.jpg 500 500 Editor https://sikhcouncil.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/sikh_council.png Editor2014-03-28 18:34:562020-04-09 18:36:56Sikh Council UK India Visit – Update.
A delegation of senior members of the Sikh Council UK is currently engaged on an historic visit to India. Notable events of the visit so far:
- Ardas (prayer) was done at Sri Akal Takhat Sahib Ji by Singh Sahib Gurmukh Singh – Head Granthi of Sri Akal Takhat Sahib.
- Addressed over 60 students at Shaheed Sikh Missionary College – these students are being trained as Granthis, Parcharaks and Kirtanias (Sikh ‘priests’ and preachers). Students come from all over India and are connected to the grassroots congregation and villages.
- Meeting with the Deputy Commissioner of Police, Amritsar. Discussed streamlining the process of identity verification for voluntary returnees as it currently takes several months and no feedback on progress is available.
- Meeting with the Principal of Khalsa College, Amritsar and addressed large number of students.
- Meeting with the Dean of Students Affairs of Guru Nanak University.
- Press conference held at the Press Club in Jallandar. Very well attended by media of all shades and types including print and broadcast, local, regional and national. Main focus was on Voluntary Returns Programme with much positive interest. Some questions regarding 1984 and other issues.
- Meeting with an Executive Member and the PA to the President of Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC – Central Gurdwara Management Committee – responsible for managing Gurdwaras across India). Meeting with the SGPC President to follow. http://new.sgpc.net/
- Meeting with Jathedar (Leader) of Sri Akal Takhat Sahib (temporal head of the Sikh faith) http://www.akaltakhatsahib.com/eng/index. Range of issues were discussed including:
- – continuance of Gurdwara buildings being used as party halls
- – prisoners in India and abroad
- – genocide of Sikhs
- – disclosure of documents relating to 1984 in UK
- – recent mass grave found in Punjab
- – communication protocols
- – guidance for mixed marriages
- – structures for engagement with the diaspora community
- – role of Sikh Council UK